The Southern African Venture Capital and Private Equity Association (SAVCA), in collaboration with Investec as lead sponsor and supported by Sanlam Investments, today announced the shortlist of nominees for the 2019 SAVCA Industry Awards. The winners across four categories will be announced at a gala dinner to be held on 7 November 2019.
“The SAVCA Industry Awards recognise portfolio companies that have not only thrived from private equity or venture capital investment, but that have also made a valuable contribution to their country. Following the success of the inaugural event last year, SAVCA has included an additional category this year to further open the platform up to a wider group of businesses,” says Tanya van Lill, SAVCA CEO.
The nominees are all portfolio companies – ranging from start-ups to large companies across various industries – that have prospered from private equity or venture capital investment within the last two years. “The shortlisted nominees have been selected from a long list of nominees based on their financial performance and their impactful contribution to the economic development of Southern Africa,” explains Van Lill.
As part of the judging process, SAVCA’s research partner, Intellidex has evaluated the shortlisted finalists according to a set list of criteria before a judging panel of senior business leaders that will determine who the winners will be.
The judging criteria for the SAVCA Industry Awards include:
1. Evidence of growth, including profit growth and investor returns
2. Job preservation/creation
4. Environmental impact
5. Social impact
6. Leadership team/reputation
“We could not be more thrilled with the nominees for this year’s awards. These companies showcase the high calibre of innovative companies that are making a positive contribution to not only the business sector and Southern Africa, but also to the lives of so many people. The pioneering and relevant solutions that they provide are making a real impact across multiple sectors,” adds van Lill.
The official shortlist for the 2019 SAVCA Industry Awards finalists are:
1. GoMetro: Use innovative technology GoMetro aids public transport planning in emerging markets by mapping commuter movements;
2. Aerobotics: Utilise drone technology, Aerobotics helps to improve farmers’ yields by analysing crops to detect pests and diseases early on;
3. Ozow: Enables e-commerce by supporting merchants to accept EFT payments from customers;
4. Netcampus: With a focus on the disabled, develops skills for the fourth industrial revolution;
5. DSES Project Solutions: Operates in the engineering sector to deliver large-scale projects in petrochemical and other industries;
6. Mediwell: A rapidly growing technology-enabled medical services business;
7. Auto X: Manufacturer of vehicle batteries supplying local and international clients;
8. Real Foods Group: Group of several food brands with a focus on health and wellness;
9. Dartcom: Manufacturer and distributor of equipment in the telecommunications technology sector;
10. Meridian Consolidated Investments: Manufactures, distributes and trades agricultural commodities in Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
For more information on the SAVCA Industry Awards visit: https://savca.co.za/savca-awards-2019/